Chef and food is an entity that link each other, that’s why a gastronomist can see the product of food through an impressive point of view.
Food contains several substances that very useful for body, among those are: carbohydrate, protein, fat, mineral, vitamin, water. By a process of digestion, food essence is absorbed inside the body and then proceed to be energy.
From its function, food can be divided by two parts i.e. :
- Food as the energy source e.g. carbohydrate, protein, fat.
- Food that maintain and sustain metabolism process inside the body e.g. fiber, vitamin, water, mineral.
Antioxidant food is quite considered for good health and preventing diseases, it mostly comes from fresh fruit and vegetables. Eating it may prohibit or prevent the oxidation of other molecules in the body.
The following is a list of different kinds of antioxidants and foods that are high in each:
- Allium sulphur compounds: Leeks, onions, garlic
- Anthocyanins: Eggplant, grapes, berries
- Beta carotene: Pumpkin, mangoes, apricots, carrots, spinach, parsley
- Catechins: Red wine, tea
- Copper: Seafood, lean meat, milk, nuts, legumes
- Cryptoxanthins: Red peppers, pumpkin, mangoes
- Flavonoids: Tea, green tea, red wine, citrus fruits, onion, apples
- Indoles: Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower
- Lignans: Sesame seeds, bran, whole grains, vegetables
- Lutein: Corn, leafy greens (such as spinach)
- Lycopene: Tomatoes, pink grapefruit, watermelon
- Manganese: Seafood, lean meat, milk, nuts
- Polyphenols: Thyme, oregano
- Selenium: Seafood, offal, lean meat, whole grains
- Vitamin C: Oranges, berries, kiwi fruit, mangoes, broccoli, spinach, peppers
- Vitamin E: Vegetable oils, nuts, avocados, seeds, whole grains
- Zinc: Seafood, lean meat, milk, nuts
- Zoochemicals: Red meat, offal, fish
By knowing the above information, therefore cooks can optimize production process of food and maintain its nutrient in good condition to be consumed. In essence, inside a healthy body there is a healthy soul.